Armenian Cemetery

The oldest Armenian Orthodox church from Moldavia was built in Botosani a fact that denotes the large number of Armenians settled in the city at that time.
The Armenian Ortodox church Saint Mary was bulit in 1350.
The “Eternity” cemetery, which is also the place where the Armenian cemetery is located, an open-air museum of funerary art for 200 years.
Until the mid-nineteenth century Armenian merchants were content with tombstones , but with the increase of their power and wealth, Armenian funeral monuments in Botosani became true symbols of social and financial influence.
However, in 1850, the Armenian funerary art reached its peak, when the Grigoroşianu family donated the land to the Armenian community, arranging it in a well-organized cemetery.
Moreover, in 1855 Ana Pruncul, the wife of the rich Armenian Avedic Van Prumen, built a church to serve this cemetery.
Almost every tomb has an impressive funeral monument which tells the story of the dead. It was a cemetery of the rich people.
Until now there are only 26 funeral monuments left. All of them were made by craftsmen from different cities: Milano, Geneva, Vienna, Athens.
The most impressive monument is that of the Cristea and Maria Manea family, representing a massive coffin on the catafalque, but also details of the family’s life.

loading